- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS
- SERVINGS: 10
"Most people prefer margaritas either frozen or on the rocks. In Texas, it's the same with refried beans versus charro," says Tim Love. Refried beans are made with mashed pintos; for charroa Tex-Mex take on pork and beansthe beans are served whole in a spicy broth.
Plus: How to Cook Any Bean
- 1 1/2 pounds dried pinto beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound thickly sliced bacon, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 large jalapeñoshalved, stemmed and seeded
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 large bay leaves
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- In a large pot, cover the beans with water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let the beans soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse the beans and return them to the pot. Add the broth, bacon, garlic, jalapeños, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the beans are very tender, 2 hours and 30 minutes. Discard the jalapeños and bay leaves. Pick out and mash the garlic cloves, then stir them back into the beans. Season the beans with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.