© Gareth Morgans
Charred Poblano and Garlic Pesto
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 cup
- 4 large unpeeled garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 2 scallions
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large poblanos (6 ounces each), halved lengthwise and cored
- Canola oil
- Heat a cast-iron skillet. Rub the chiles with oil and set in the skillet, skin side down. Add the garlic and scallions and cook over moderately high heat, flattening the chiles with a spatula, until charred all over, 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool slightly. Peel the chiles and garlic and chop; transfer to a mini food processor. Add the scallions and cilantro; pulse until minced. With the machine on, add 3 tablespoons of oil and process to a coarse paste. Add the cheese; pulse to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
NotesUSES Spread on sandwiches or mix into meatballs, rice, soup or pasta.