- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon safflower or corn oil
- 3 pounds carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the oil over high heat. Add the carrots and toss to coat evenly. Cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to char and blacken around the edges, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the carrots to a food processor and add the milk, lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Puree until smooth.
The recipe can be made up to 1 day ahead; reheat over hot water in a double boiler.