- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of garlic, cloves peeled
- 2-inch strip of lemon zest, plus 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 small, dried hot chiles
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 flat anchovy fillets, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds Broccolini, bottom 2 inches of stalks discarded
- In a small saucepan, combine the olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon zest strip, dried chiles and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is very soft, about 35 minutes. Strain the oil into a measuring cup and let cool. Discard the lemon zest, chiles and bay leaf and reserve the garlic.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the garlic oil onto a plate. Add the anchovies, crushed red pepper and grated lemon zest and toss.
- In a large bowl, toss the Broccolini with 1/2 cup of the garlic oil. Season with salt. Heat a large, deep skillet. Add half of the Broccolini and cook over high heat, without stirring, until browned in spots, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the Broccolini is just tender. Transfer to a platter and repeat with the remaining Broccolini.
- Scatter the confitted garlic and anchovies over the Broccolini and serve.
The Broccolini can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Top with the garlic confit and anchovies just before serving.