- 2 pounds Broccolini, thick stems halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Two 3/4 -inch-thick slices cut from a sourdough boule
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 cups torn white and light green escarole leaves
- 1 fresh hot red chile—stemmed, seeded and very thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, toss the Broccolini with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a work surface; cut in half crosswise.
- Brush the bread with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly browned and crisp, about 3 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and rub with the cut sides of the garlic clove. Let cool slightly, then tear into bite-size pieces.
- In a serving bowl, mix the vinegar, onion and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the escarole, Broccolini, garlic bread and chile and toss well. Season with salt and pepper, toss again and serve.
Wine: Exuberant, red-fruited Sangiovese.