Charred Broccoli Rabe with Chitarra and Lemony Bread Crumbs
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Spicy, charred broccoli rabe is tossed with strands of al dente pasta and crunchy bread crumbs in this elegant summer pasta from Andrew Zimmern.
- 1/4 pound day-old Italian bread, torn into chunks
- 1/4 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, stem tips trimmed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chitarra or spaghetti
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- MAKE THE BREAD CRUMBS Preheat the oven to 375°. In a food processor, pulse the bread with the parsley, olive oil, zest and garlic until coarse crumbs form. Season with salt and pepper, then spread on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until golden and crisp; let cool.
- MAKE THE PASTA Light a grill. In a large bowl, toss the broccoli rabe with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until crisp tender and lightly charred all over, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and let cool slightly, then finely chop.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Wipe out the saucepan and heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in it until shimmering. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant and just starting to brown, about 1 minute. Add the pasta, broccoli rabe, reserved cooking water, lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook, tossing, until the pasta is coated, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and scatter some bread crumbs on top. Serve right away, passing additional bread crumbs at the table.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.