- 9 ounces cooked beets, drained (see Note)
- 1 tomato, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 serrano chile, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tortilla chips, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the broiler and position the rack 3 to 4 inches from the heat. Place the beets on a foil-lined
baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly charred all over. Let cool
slightly, then chop the beets.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the tomato, onion, garlic, serrano, cilantro and lemon juice
and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the beets and serve with tortilla chips.
The best precooked beets are steamed, peeled and sold Cryovaced at most supermarkets.