- 2 pounds Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 thin slices of lean-cut bacon, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the chard until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, squeezing out any excess water from the leaves.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Transfer all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon to a plate.
- Pour the orange juice into the skillet and boil over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the orange zest and the chard, season with salt and stir to coat. Transfer to a bowl, top with the reserved bacon and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.