- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup dry Champagne or sparkling wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 pound large tomatillos—husks removed, tomatillos cored and sliced 1/4
- Kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
Sift the flour with the table salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Break the egg into the well, add the water and beat lightly to blend with the eggs. Gradually beat in the flour while pouring in the wine and then the butter. Let the fritter batter stand for 1 hour; it should be as thick as pancake batter.
In a bowl, mix the tomatillos with a pinch of kosher salt and the nutmeg. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil to 375°. Pat the tomatillo slices dry with paper towels. One at a time, dip the tomatillo slices in the batter. Using tongs, add the slices to the oil in a single layer, without crowding the skillet. Fry the tomatillo fritters, turning once, until golden, 1 to 3 minutes total. Drain the fritters on paper towels and keep warm in a low oven. Season with kosher salt and serve as soon as possible.
Internal Server Error