© Quentin Bacon
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 12 Drinks
This puckery drink is prepared with rum and fresh mint like a classic mojito, but New Orleans chef John Besh makes it holiday-worthy by topping it with a splash of Champagne.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups packed mint leaves, plus 12 mint sprigs, for garnish
- 6 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups light rum
- Cracked ice
- 3 cups Champagne or sparkling wine
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over high heat just until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the mint leaves and lime wedges and muddle well with a wooden spoon. Add the rum and stir well. Strain the drink into another pitcher.
- Fill tall glasses with cracked ice and pour in the drink, filling them about two-thirds full. Top with Champagne, garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
Make AheadThe mojitos can be prepared through Step 2. Refrigerate the mojitos in the pitcher overnight.