© Alanna Hale
Chamomile Toast Crunch
- SERVINGS: Makes 4 slices
For Mission Street Food's cake.
Indulgent Breakfast Pastries
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 ounce dried chamomile
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 thick slices of bakery white bread
- Warm half-and-half almost to a simmer. Turn off the heat and add chamomile.
- Steep, covered, for 10 minutes, then strain. Sweeten with condensed milk to taste.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of butter on each slice of bread. (It's OK. It
- Toast or bake the buttered bread until the edges are lightly browned.
- Dip each piece of toast in sugar, then sprinkle on a bit more to coat evenly.
- Torch the sugared toast on a metal rack set over a pan. Keep the torch nozzle 2 to 3 inches from the toast, and move it across the surface of the bread. Tip your pan to coax melted sugar toward unmelted sugar. Avoid torching the edges, because unsugared bread can ignite.
- If you're torchless or timid, use the broiler instead of a torch. Serve brûléed toast in a hefty puddle of sweet chamomile milk.