Challah French Toast
- SERVINGS: 4
A wonderfully decadent way to start the day is with French toast made with rich homemade challah. It's also a great use for any leftover challah you have.
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Four 3/4 -inch-thick slices of Braided Challah , Loaf Pan Challah or Raisin Challah with a Cinnamon Swirl
- Warm pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium shallow baking dish or bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg until blended. Working with 1 challah slice at a time, soak the bread in the egg mixture, turning several times.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large heavy skillet until bubbling. Add 2 of the soaked challah slices and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until golden brown on the second side, about 2 minutes longer. Repeat with the remaining egg-soaked challah. Serve hot with maple syrup.