- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Using a wet pastry brush, wash down the side of the saucepan to remove any sugar crystals. Cook over moderately high heat until an amber caramel forms, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in all of the remaining ingredients. Return the saucepan to the heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring until the caramel is smooth. Transfer the caramel to a bowl and let cool for about 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The fondue can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Sliced apples, pears, bananas, dried figs, cubes of pound cake, gingersnaps and graham crackers, for dipping.