© Frances Janisch
Celery Salad with Walnuts, Dates and Pecorino
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
This impressive cool-weather salad is an extraordinarily addictive mix of sweet, crunchy and salty ingredients.
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches celery (2 pounds), thinly sliced on the bias
- 3/4 cup dried pitted Medjool dates, quartered lengthwise
- 3 ounces dry pecorino cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Let cool completely, then coarsely chop.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot with the sherry vinegar. Whisk in both oils and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the toasted walnuts, celery, dates and pecorino. Add the dressing and toss. Serve at once.
Make Ahead The salad and dressing can be refrigerated separately for up to 1 day. Store the walnuts in an airtight container and add to the salad just before serving.