- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches celery (2 pounds), thinly sliced on the bias
- 3/4 cup dried pitted Medjool dates, quartered lengthwise
- 3 ounces dry pecorino cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Let cool completely, then coarsely chop.
In a small bowl, combine the shallot with the sherry vinegar. Whisk in both oils and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the toasted walnuts, celery, dates and pecorino. Add the dressing and toss. Serve at once.
The salad and dressing can be refrigerated separately for up to 1 day. Store the walnuts in an airtight container and add to the salad just before serving.