- One 1-pound celery root, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound medium turnips, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, add the celery root and turnips and just enough cold water to cover; bring to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the unsalted butter and 2 teaspoons of salt. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until the celery root and turnips are tender and the cooking liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables and their cooking liquid to a food processor and let cool for 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the milk and process until smooth. Season the celery rootturnip puree with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and serve.
The celery root and turnip puree can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.