Celery Root and Pear Remoulade with Walnuts
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
Daniel Boulud makes his remoulade sauce the traditional way, with raw egg yolks. If you prefer to avoid raw eggs, you can use 3/4 cup of prepared mayonnaise doctored with lemon juice and Dijon mustard in place of his homemade sauce base.
At home, Boulud serves this winter salad as an accompaniment to pâté.
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cornichons or sour gherkins
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 pounds celery root, peeled
- 3 firm Bosc pears, peeled
- 1/2 cup celery leaves from the heart
- In a heavy glass or ceramic bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the water, mustard and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil in small drops until the sauce starts to thicken, then whisk in the remaining oil in a thin, steady stream; when all of the oil has been added, the sauce should be thick. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Fold in the egg, cornichons, capers, parsley, tarragon and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a cake pan, toast the walnuts for about 4 minutes, or until fragrant and deep brown.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Shred the celery root on the largest holes of a box grater and toss immediately with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Add 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice to the saucepan, then add the celery root and blanch until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the celery root and plunge it into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat thoroughly dry.
- Grate the pears into a bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add the celery root, remoulade sauce and walnuts and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the celery leaves and serve.