Celery Root and Carrot Salad
- SERVINGS: 8
The celery root can be shredded in a food processor, but you'll get a thicker and smoother result if you cut the vegetables into julienne strips on a mandoline. This salad improves overnight in the refrigerator.
- 2 large fresh kumquats, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons hot and sweet mustard
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large celery roots (3 pounds)trimmed, quartered and peeled
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch julienne strips
- 1 cup pecan halves (4 ounces), toasted and coarsely crumbled
- In a bowl, combine the kumquats, orange juice, sour cream, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Using a mandoline or the large shredding disk of a food processor, cut the celery roots into 2-by-1/4-inch julienne strips. Transfer to a very large bowl and toss with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Add the carrots and the kumquat dressing and toss. Cover and refrigerate for 1 day.
- Taste the salad for seasoning. Transfer it to a large platter and scatter the pecans on top.