- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 3 celery ribs, sliced diagonally 1/4-inch thick
- 2 fennel bulbs—trimmed, halved, cored and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2 Honeycrisp apples—halved, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn if large
- Pecorino cheese shavings, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 7 to 8 minutes, until golden. Coarsely chop the nuts.
In a large bowl, whisk the 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the celery, fennel, apples and basil and toss to evenly coat. Transfer the salad to a serving platter. Season with pepper and drizzle with olive oil, then top with the walnuts and garnish with cheese shavings.