- 2 celery ribs, sliced on the diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups romaine ribbons
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the celery ribs, sliced on the diagonal 1/4 inch thick, for 15 seconds, until translucent; transfer to a platter to cool. Add celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch matchsticks, to the saucepan and blanch until barely tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain and spread out on the platter to cool. In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil with lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add the celery, celery root, romaine ribbons and toasted pine nuts, toss well and serve.
"The last thing you want with salads is a big, buttery wine. You want something light and balanced, like an unoaked Chardonnay," says Rom Toulon of Meadowood in Napa Valley.