- 1 1/4 pounds broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Fresno or jalapeño chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 pound cavatelli
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves, chopped
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a bowl, toss the broccoli rabe with 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the broccoli rabe on 2 baking sheets and roast for 15 minutes, until crisp-tender, then chop.
- In a deep skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic, chile and harissa and cook over moderate heat, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe and smoked paprika and cook until tender, 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta, cooking water and 1/4 cup of Parmigiano to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the pasta is coated in a thick sauce, 2 minutes. Stir in the herbs and serve with more cheese.
Green vegetables go best with bright, citrusy whites, like Austrian Grüner Veltliner.