Cauliflower with Pine Nut Crumble
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 tablespoon dried currants
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 anchovy fillet (optional)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small head of cauliflower (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- Place the currants in a small microwavable bowl; cover with 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then drain. Transfer the currants to a mini food processor, add the pine nuts and anchovy and pulse to a paste.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderate heat, stirring once, until golden in spots, about 7 minutes. Add the stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the cauliflower is nearly tender, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid is nearly evaporated and the cauliflower is tender, about 2 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the bread crumbs and toast, stirring frequently, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter in the same skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine. Stir in the currant paste and transfer to a bowl.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a bowl. Stir the bread crumbs into the currant mixture, spoon over the cauliflower and serve at once.