- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and cut into 2-inch florets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or Korean red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, toss the cauliflower florets with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and bake for about 45 minutes, or until just tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the cumin seeds and cook over moderate heat until fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger and shallot and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the diced tomatoes, turmeric and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir the water into the skillet and bring the sauce to a boil. Add the baked cauliflower and simmer, stirring, until the florets are evenly coated in a slightly thickened sauce, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.