- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 3 dozen fritters
To create these wonderful tapas, José Andrés makes a batter with crunchy nubs of chopped cauliflower florets, fries spoonfuls in a skillet and then tops the fritters with yogurt sauce and a dollop of caviar.
Chef Holiday Recipes Made Easy
More Tasty Snack Recipes
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salmon caviar, for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 large head of cauliflower, florets finely chopped (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes. Drain well, then spread the cauliflower on a paper towel–lined baking sheet to cool; pat the cauliflower dry.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of salt with the baking powder, cumin, coriander, pepper and allspice. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt at high speed until firm peaks form. Fold in the cauliflower and the spice mixture.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet. Very lightly oil the skillet. Drop tablespoons of the fritter batter into the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes. Transfer the fritters to a large rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter, coating the skillet with oil as needed.
- In a small bowl, blend the yogurt with the 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt. Reheat the fritters in the oven, about 2 minutes. Garnish each fritter with 1/2 teaspoon of yogurt sauce and some caviar. Transfer to a platter and serve.