Cauliflower and Roasted Beet Salad with Rich Herb Dressing
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
One of Cal Peternell's key lessons is the importance of salt. He sprinkles it generously over the beets for this salad to concentrate their earthy taste and uses it to season the water for boiling the cauliflower. He also has a trick for adding creaminess to a dressing: He stirs finely chopped hard-boiled eggs into it for a silky richness.
- 6 medium beets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- One 2 1/2-pound head of cauliflower, cored and cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Put the beets in a small roasting pan and add 1/4 inch of water and salt. Tightly cover the pan with foil and bake the beets for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool, then peel the beets and slice them 1/4 inch thick. In the roasting pan, toss the beets with 1 tablespoon each of the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the eggs with cold water and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes. Pour off the hot water and shake the eggs against the sides of the pan to crack the shells. Cover the eggs with cold water; let them soak for 5 minutes, then pat dry, peel and finely chop.
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the cauliflower until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well. Transfer the florets to a large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, soak the sliced shallot in the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar for 5 minutes. Add the parsley, mint and the remaining 5 tablespoons of olive oil. Fold in the chopped eggs and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the sliced beets on a large platter and scatter the cauliflower florets over them. Spoon the dressing over the salad and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.