- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
"These are not your usual fritters," says cookbook author Yotam Ottolenghi. His are pancake-like, packed with cauliflower and spiced with cinnamon, cumin and turmeric. As a dipping sauce, he serves lime-spiked Greek yogurt.
- 1 1/3 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 small cauliflower, about 3/4 pound, cut into little florets
- Scant 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 shallots, finely chopped ( 1/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 large eggs, preferably organic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- About 2 cups sunflower oil, for frying
- MAKE THE LIME SAUCE Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Taste—the flavor should be vibrant, tart and citrusy—and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Chill or leave at room temperature for up to 1 hour.
- PREPARE THE FRITTERS Add the florets to a saucepan of salted boiling water. Simmer until very soft, 15 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, chopped parsley, shallots, garlic, eggs, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to make a smooth batter. Add the warm cauliflower. Mix, smashing the cauliflower into the batter with the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a wide skillet, heat 2/3 inch of oil over high heat until very hot. Working in batches, spoon in the cauliflower mixture, allowing 3 tablespoons per fritter. Separate the fritters with a fish spatula. Fry in small batches, adjusting the heat so the fritters cook but don't burn. They should take 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Drain the fritters well on paper towels. Garnish with the parsley leaves and serve hot or warm with the lime sauce.
Fruity, full-bodied white, such as a Côtes-du-Rhône Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.