- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs), crushed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 large eggs
- Eight 5-ounce skinless catfish fillets
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 crusty hero rolls, split
- Shredded romaine, for serving
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- In a pie plate, whisk the cornmeal, panko, 1/2 cup of flour, the salt, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, sage, ginger and cumin. In another pie plate, beat the eggs. Dust the catfish with flour, then dip in the beaten egg; coat in the panko mixture, pressing the crumbs to help them adhere. Transfer the fish to a baking sheet.
- In a skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil. Fry the catfish in 2 batches over moderately high heat, turning once, until the crust is golden and crisp and the fish is cooked through, 4 minutes. Drain the fish on paper towels.
- Spread the rolls with the remoulade. Top with the fried fish and romaine and serve.
Zippy Pinot Grigio.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.