- 8 large slices country-style bread, about 1/2 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, halved crosswise
- Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill. When the fire is medium hot, grill the bread for 2 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and crisp.
- Give each diner a garlic clove and half a tomato. Have them rub their toast with the garlic, then with the cut tomato. (The idea is to apply a thin film of tomato on the bread.) Then they can drizzle their toast with olive oil, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and eat.
Choose a light-bodied Trappist ale, such as Orval from Belgium, to balance the sweet tomato flavor.