Cast-Iron Skillet Apple Crisp
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This rustic apple desserta mixture of sweet and tart apples and buttery bread crumbsslow-cooks on the grill over indirect heat, which is created by piling all the hot coals on one side, away from the food, to make a kind of outdoor oven.
- 2 cups fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3 medium McIntosh applespeeled, cored and sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 3 medium Granny Smith applespeeled, cored and sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt, preferably goat's milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Light a grill. When the coals are hot, push them to one side of the grill. Put the bread crumbs in a large cast-iron skillet. Set the skillet on the grill opposite the coals; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bread crumbs are nicely toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bread crumbs to a large bowl and stir in the light brown sugar and half of the melted butter.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice and zest. Add the dark brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and toss well.
- Set the skillet back on the grill opposite the coals and scatter half of the bread crumb mixture over the bottom. Spread the apple slices in the skillet in an even layer. Top with the remaining bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining melted butter. Cover the grill and cook until the apples are tender and bubbling and the crisp is browned, about 45 minutes. Remove the skillet from the grill and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the yogurt with the confectioners' sugar. Serve the apple crisp, warm or at room temperature, with the sweetened yogurt.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.