- 1/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 5 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Szechwan peppercorns
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken tenderloins
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound bok choy, longer ribs halved crosswise
- Steamed rice, for serving
In a small bowl, use a fork to blend the chicken stock with the sherry, soy sauce and cornstarch.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the cashews and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to a plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add the white part of the scallions, the ginger, garlic and Szechwan peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sauce and arrange the chicken in a single layer in the skillet; season with salt and pepper. Arrange the bok choy in a layer over the chicken. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the bok choy is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the chicken, bok choy and sauce to bowls. Garnish with the scallion greens and cashews and serve with rice.