- SERVINGS: 10
Mint adds a refreshing punch to Michel Benasra's warm shrimp appetizer. It's inspired by a salad Benasra enjoys at a favorite restaurant in the south of France.
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, torn in half
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound mesclun salad greens
- In a small bowl, whisk 7 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the sherry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the shrimp, mint, raisins, cumin and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the shrimp are pink, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the mesclun with the dressing and mound on 10 plates. Scatter the shrimp over the salads.
Open with a crisp lean white, such as a Pinot Grigio. Try Doro Princic or Santa Margherita.