- 1 pound baby carrots of varying colors, tops trimmed to 1/4 inch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup rice flour or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a medium saucepan, cover the carrots with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and return them to the saucepan. Toss the carrots with the olive oil and half of the lemon zest. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 300°. In a small bowl, toss the shallots with the rice flour, separating them into rings. Transfer the shallots to a strainer and tap off the excess flour. Add the shallots to the hot oil and fry just until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels to drain.
- In a bowl, toss the fried shallots with the parsley and the remaining lemon zest. Transfer the carrots to plates and garnish with the gremolata. Serve right away.
The carrots can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.