- 1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 pounds baby carrots without tops, unpeeled, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons goat's-milk butter at room temperature, cut into cubes (see Note)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, toast the caraway seeds over high heat just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
- In a bowl, toss the carrots with the oil. Add the carrots to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred all over, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrot juice, bay leaves and caraway seeds. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until the carrots are tender and the liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons, about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and serve right away.
Goat's-milk butter is available at health food stores, large grocery stores like Whole Foods and online at igourmet.com.