Carrot Osso Buco
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This dish is typical of Guy Martin's approach to vegetables at Le Grand Véfour: Not content to stick with the standards, he transforms a favorite Italian specialtybraised veal shanks with tomatoes and onionsby replacing the meat with carrots.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds medium carrots
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1/2 pound tomatoespeeled, seeded and chopped
- Bouquet garni made with 6 parsley sprigs, 3 thyme sprigs and 1 bay leaf, tied with kitchen string
- One 1/2-inch-thick orange slice, halved
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the carrots and cook over moderate heat, turning frequently, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer the carrots to a plate.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bouquet garni and orange slice, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Nestle the carrots in the sauce. Cover and cook over low heat, turning the carrots occasionally, until meltingly tender but not falling apart, about 1 hour. Discard the bouquet garni. Sprinkle the carrots with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.
Make Ahead The carrots can be refrigerated for 2 days. Notes One serving 147 cal, 16 gm carb, 5 gm fat, 0.9 gm sat fat, 2 gm protein, 2 gm fiber.