- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large carrots (3/4 pound), chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 large shrimp, shelled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots, ginger and crushed red pepper and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, peanut butter and sesame oil.
In a blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return it to the saucepan and stir in the skim milk and coconut milk. Season the soup with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Toss the shrimp with the coconut, cayenne and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the shrimp on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes, or until pink. Ladle the carrot-ginger soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the coconut shrimp.
One Serving 230 cal, 11 gm total fat, 3.6 gm saturated fat, 17 gm carb, 3 gm fiber.