- 1 medium apple, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 cups flax seed meal (See Note)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole flax seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Puree the apple and carrots in a food processor and set aside. Line a 6-muffin tin with large paper cups, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, flax seed meal, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well, and slowly pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring. When the wet and dry ingredients are combined, add the apple and carrot puree. Gently stir to combine without overmixing.
- Using a measuring cup or scoop, evenly divide the batter between the muffin cups. (They will fill nearly all the way to the top, and because these are gluten-free muffins, they aren't going to rise too much.) Sprinkle the flax seeds on top of each muffin. Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool in the muffin tin for 5 to 10 minutes.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.