© Kamran Siddiqi
Carrot Cake Waffles with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 5
Fluffy and ever-so-slightly chewy, it’s hard to believe these waffles are gluten-free.
Slideshows: More Waffle Recipes
- 1 cup Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the waffle iron
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese, softened
- Warm maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200° and set a rack in a rimmed baking sheet. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar with the sour cream, butter, egg and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients, then stir in the carrots and walnuts.
- Preheat a waffle iron and brush with butter. Scoop 1/3 cup of the batter into the center of the iron, spreading the batter with the back of a spoon. Close the iron and cook until the waffle is deeply golden and crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer the waffle to the rack in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the heavy cream at medium speed until soft peaks form. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese and remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla until firm peaks form.
- Serve the waffles with the whipped cream and maple syrup.
Make AheadThe waffles can be made earlier in the day and warmed in the oven.