- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (3/4 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 5 ounces sheep's-milk ricotta or well-drained fresh cow's-milk ricotta (1/2 cup firmly packed)
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a baking dish, toss the carrots with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, until tender and lightly browned. Let cool slightly.
- In a small skillet, melt the butter. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the carrots, shallot and cream and puree until smooth. Transfer the puree to a bowl. Stir in the ricotta, Parmigiano and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg yolk.
Make Ahead Ravioli can be prepared over two days. Mix the filling on day one, store it in the fridge overnight, then make the dough and assemble the ravioli the next day. Freeze for up to a month.
Creamy, nutmeg-scented Sicilian white.