Carrot and Orange Sambal
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
In Malaysia and South Africa, a sambal can be eaten as a tangy side dish, a condiment or a small salad.
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 6 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Cut in between the membranes to release the orange sections; coarsely chop the sections. In a bowl, combine the carrots with the lemon juice, orange juice, sugar and salt; mix thoroughly. Stir in the orange sections and coriander. Let the sambal stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the cilantro before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.