- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 packed cups cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and coarsely shredded
How to make this recipe
In a food processor, combine the lemon juice with the minced garlic and let stand for 15 minutes. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the almonds and toast over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain the toasted almonds on paper towels and let cool.
Transfer half of the almonds to the food processor. Add the cilantro, cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and pulse until chopped. Add the olive oil and process to a chunky paste. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a large bowl. Add the chickpeas and carrots and toss. Garnish with the remaining almonds and serve.
The carrot salad can be refrigerated overnight. Garnish with the toasted almonds just before serving.
One serving 559 cal, 50 gm carb, 34 gm fat, 3.8 gm sat fat, 15 gm protein, 17 gm fiber.