Caribbean Rice and Peas
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (10 ounces)
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, stirred
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Hot sauce, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook over moderate heat until barely softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice. Add the coconut milk, water and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the beans, cover and simmer over low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover the saucepan with a kitchen towel and the lid and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with hot sauce.