- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (10 ounces)
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, stirred
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook over moderate heat until barely softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice. Add the coconut milk, water and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the beans, cover and simmer over low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover the saucepan with a kitchen towel and the lid and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with hot sauce.