- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small hot chile, sliced into rings
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, add the coconut oil and heat until melted. Add the onion and chile and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is fairly soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ground allspice and stir, then add the stock and quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and lime juice to the soup, then stir. (Do not let the coconut milk boil or it will separate.) Season to taste. Divide the soup among four serving bowls. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.
The soup can be prepared through step 1 and stored in the refrigerator for a few days.