© Lauren Volo
Caribbean Mango and Steamed Shrimp Salad
- ACTIVE: 50 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Slideshow: Fast and Healthy Shrimp Recipes
- 1 stalk of fresh lemongrass, tender inside only
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined, shells reserved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced tarragon
- 3 mangoes (about 14 ounces each), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Thinly slice the bottom 4 inches of the stalk of lemongrass. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the garlic, shallot, lemongrass and ginger and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp shells and cook, stirring, until bright pink, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring until glossy, about 2 minutes. Add the white wine and bring to a boil. Add the water and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove the shrimp stock from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain the stock, pressing hard on the solids. Return the stock to the saucepan and boil until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 20 minutes; let cool. Whisk in the lime juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Season the shrimp with salt, pepper and cayenne and steam until just opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the tarragon into the dressing. In a large bowl, toss the mangoes with 1/4 cup of the dressing and mound on plates. Top with the shrimp, drizzle on the remaining 1/4 cup of dressing and serve.
Notes One Serving 407 calories, 13.9 gm total fat, 1.4 gm saturated fat, 32 gm carb.