Cardamom-Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
These spiced-just-right oatmeal cookies are the perfect texture for ice cream sandwiches—chewy and soft.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 pint ice cream, for filling
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cardamom, salt and baking soda. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. At medium speed, beat in the egg. Beat in the buttermilk and vanilla until just smooth, then beat in the dry ingredients. Fold in the oats.
- Using a 2-tablespoon ice cream scoop, scoop 10 mounds of dough onto each baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake in the lower and upper thirds of the oven for 13 minutes, until the cookies are puffy and set; shift the sheets halfway through baking. Transfer the cookies to racks to cool completely.
- For each ice cream sandwich, scoop 3 tablespoons of the ice cream onto the underside of a cookie and top with another cookie. Wrap in plastic and freeze until the ice cream is just firm, about 30 minutes.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.