- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Bread or one 1 1/2 -pound loaf of gingerbread, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Candied Pumpkin
- Softly whipped cream, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger, for garnish
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the half-and-half. In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1 2/3 cups of half-and-half with the sugar mixture and the cinnamon. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla. Transfer the pudding to a bowl and press plastic wrap on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Arrange one-third of the Pumpkin Bread slices in a large glass bowl, overlapping them slightly. Spread one-third of the cinnamon pudding evenly on top. Top with one-third of the Candied Pumpkin with its syrup. Repeat the layering process two times. Garnish the trifle with a few dollops of whipped cream, the candied ginger and mint sprigs.
Make AheadThe pudding can be refrigerated overnight.