- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Potato chips, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 25 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cook, stirring, until the water has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Let the onions cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a cutting board and coarsely chop. In a large bowl, mix the sour cream with the cream cheese, parsley, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Stir in the onions and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
The onion dip can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.