- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 Crostini Toasts
- 2 ounces Taleggio or Reblochon cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the water and cook until it has evaporated and the onion is very tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the Crostini Toasts on a baking sheet and top each with a slice of cheese. Bake for about 4 minutes, or just until the cheese melts. Top with the caramelized onion and serve.
Make AheadThe caramelized onion can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Let the onion return to room temperature before using it.