Caramelized Fruit with Rosemary
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Caramelizing pears, bananas and mangoes intensifies their sweetness. A touch of gooey caramel drizzled on the warm fruit makes it even better.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large, firm but ripe Bartlett pearspeeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 bananas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat the broiler. In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with the lemon juice, rosemary and 1/4 cup of the water and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Let cool.
- In another small saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with 2 tablespoons of the water. Cook over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook without stirring until a deep amber caramel forms, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat and carefully add the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. When the steam subsides, stir the caramel over moderate heat just until dissolved.
- Thread the fruit on 16 skewers. Set the skewers on a baking sheet and brush with the rosemary syrup; let stand for 10 minutes. Broil the skewers on 1 side only for about 3 minutes, until caramelized. Transfer the skewers to a large plate, drizzle with the caramel sauce and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.