- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks (1 1/2 pounds), white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- 3 endives (1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 thyme sprigs, plus thyme leaves for garnish
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup coarsely shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
How to make this recipe
Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat.
In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, turning, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the endives, garlic and thyme sprigs and cook, turning, until the endives are golden, about 3 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until almost all of the broth has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
Discard the thyme sprigs. Sprinkle the cheese over the endives and leeks. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese melts. Garnish with thyme leaves and serve warm.